A garden is a beautiful addition to any home.
It brings out a lot of color and vibrancy to the exterior of the house, creating an inviting feeling to any guest who visits. But what can someone add to their garden to make it even better? Butterflies! Though it's not as simple as grabbing a net to catch and bring them to the garden, there are simple ways to bring all the butterflies to the yard. Planting flowers that the butterflies love! Here you will find some of the top 5 flowers for attracting those beautiful bugs to enjoy the garden with the guests.
1. Butterfly Bush (Buddleia) – This flower is so perfect for butterflies that it's in the name! This is the top flower found in any butterfly garden. Butterflies love bright colors, and there's no shortage of that here. The flowers are also strong enough to hold hundreds of the little guys while they enjoy the nectar.
2. Butterfly Flower / Butterfly Weed (Asclepias) – Another butterfly related plant, it should already be evident that this type of flower is going to attract many butterflies to it. The flowers themselves are vibrant colors, and the stem and leaves protect caterpillars thanks to its bitter taste. This keeps any predators away, and cocoons and caterpillars alike can stay safe.
3. Aster – Looks almost like a more colorful daisy flower; the aster plant attracts the butterflies with the colors of the flowers and has dual purpose providing nectar to the butterflies and acts as a host plant for the caterpillars.
4. Coneflower (Echinacea) – Another attractive flower that is reminiscent of a colorful daisy. This type of flower relies on hot, summer-like daytime temperatures to thrive. This is perfect for outdoor garden settings and will keep the butterflies around even on the hottest of days.
5. And last but not least is one often forgotten about, Salvia- These flowers have bright, brilliant blooms that last forever and are tough as nails. The nectar in the flowers attracts many butterflies, but could also bring in some lovely hummingbirds as well!
Planting any of these flowers will ensure that many beautiful butterflies will frequent the garden they're in. Many other types of flowers that will attract them so don't stop at just these five! The more, the merrier, turn the regular garden into a butterfly garden!
Contact Mansfield Landscaping today to upgrade your landscaping!