When you think about inviting friends and family over for a get together, visit, cookout or family fun day, you may think of family activities to participate in indoors, like board games, charades, or a pool table. Outside, you might think about volleyball, badminton or playing catch, but there’s not many activities as fun as having your own backyard putting green.
When you hire a professional landscaping company to create and install your backyard putting green there are a few guidelines to keep in mind. Here are some do’s and don’ts that your landscaper should know:
- Do have your landscaper place it near the house - when you feel like getting outside and putting around on your personal green, you’re more likely to use it if it’s closer to your house. That’s probably also where your grill, patio or any other social areas you use outside will be, so include it in the area outdoors where you spend the most time.
- Don’t place it too close to where you park the cars and keep it away from the windows of the house.
For obvious reasons, golf balls and glass don’t mix well. While you may plan on putting and making it a rule for your green to be used for putting only, chip shots are inevitable even if they’re not intentional, and you’re not going to have much fun if you’re worried about breaking windows on the house or surrounding cars.
- Do make it a fun challenge and make it your own
A one-hole putting green can lose it’s appeal and get boring fast. You’ll want to be original in your design so you and your friends and family can use it for years. Add some curves and undulation, a sand pit and some mounds to keep it fun and challenging. You can even personalize it further with your own monogrammed flags, a name for your “course” and personalized signs.
- Don’t use live grass or living turf
With a backyard putting green, it's best to create it with artificial turf. Your sand pits, mounds and any interesting shapes you choose to include are difficult to water and effectively mow if you are using live turf grass. Artificial turf is also created with the best synthetic material that makes a perfect surface for putting and is nearly completely maintenance free. It survives any element (cold or hot temperatures, rain, sleet, ice or snow) and when cared for properly, they’re always ready for play!
- Choose the right landscape design team
Choosing the right company to assist you in your goals for a perfect backyard putting green is the most important step in the process. The right company will help you figure out the perfect location in your yard, add creative elements and advise you regarding the right materials for the job. Contact Mansfield Landscaping today to get started on your backyard putting green and make your yard the funnest one in the neighborhood!